Saturday, February 26, 2011

Gnaw Their Tongues - An Epiphanic Vomiting of Blood (2007)



Full-length, Burning World Records
December 15th, 2007


There was a time in my life when I was on the hunt for the most extreme music possible. Music that would make you want to rip your face apart with your bare hands. The music that would completely fuck you up mentally. More often than not, I found solace in many of Mories' various projects. Mories is an artist who produces the most fucked up, abrasive, terrifying music that I have had the pleasure of listening to, the best bands being 'Gnaw Their Tongues', 'Aderlating' and 'De Magia Veterum'. I stopped listening to this stuff some time back so as not to burn myself out, but decided to give this album a listen a day back. And I have to say, what I heard literally grabbed me by the balls and flung me across the room.

I heard the first track and was very impressed, but being the idiot that I am, I decided to perform the acid test, i.e listen to it while taking a walk at 3 in the morning on a pitch black, winter night. And the experience was simply tremendous. I will not describe the music much, because it is virtually impossible for me to do so. The moment I pressed Play, I was sucked into a vortex of an inhuman howling noise, distorted seismic drone, chilling keyboard noise and an almost random drum pattern. Various samples are used and these add to the coldness of the music. Most of the samples are from horror movies about serial killers calmly describing the death of a few innocent people. This when merged with the music makes radiates a disturbing, ghastly feeling that can not be expressed.

On to the whole listening experience. I have to say, this was perhaps the most intense and difficult listening experiences I have ever had. The moment I pressed Play, I was possessed by some force. Something terrifying and foul. It felt like something nameless and shapeless just rose from the darkness and was just waiting to envelope me. On to the second track, 'Teeth That Leer Like Open Graves' and possibly my favorite one, I felt like time had stopped still. I was being unknowingly dragged into a void where I couldn’t rise up from. The 'fear' gripped me and I just ran. What I ran from I do not know, but there was something menacing about the night. I could imagine the shadows shifting and a strong force appearing. A force filled with the stench of negativeness and death. You almost feel suffocated by it. It was at this moment that I turned back because I was too terrified to go any further. By the time I got home, I had not heard the last track yet, but I simply could not bring myself to listen to it. Drained of all energy, I just went back and switched the music off; and my mind suddenly went numb and blank. As if nothing had ever happened.

All I can say is, this music is not for everybody. In fact, I dont think it is for most people. This band blows away every other band who claim to be the 'sickest' and 'most vile'. Don't listen to it if you are hoping to listen to some instrumental 'proficiency'. This is more than that. This is far more terrifying than any horror movie. This is pure audio terror. Disturbing and devastating.

No comments:

Post a Comment